英语美文点亮智慧人生41:A Moment of Joy片刻的欢乐(MP3+双语(2)

作者:admin 2018-10-27 点击量:

接下来的两个小时,我们开车穿过了整个城市。她指给我看当年她做电梯操作負的那座大厦,她和她的丈夫当年新婚时生活过的小区,她让我在一家家具商店前面停车,那儿以前是个舞厅,她还是个小姑娘时常去那儿跳舞。

Sometimes she'd ask me to slow in front of a particular building or corner and would sit staring into the darkness, saying nothing.

有时经过一个特殊的大楼或角落时她会让我放慢车速,她会坐在那里注视着夜空,默默无语。

As the first hint of sun was creasing the horizon, she suddenly said, "I'm tired. Let's go now."

当第一缕阳光打破了地平线,她突然说:“我累了,咱们现在就走吧。”

We drove in silence to the address she had given me. It was a low building, like a small convalescent home, with a driveway that passed under a portico.

我们默默地驱车向她给我的那个地址驶去。那是一座低矮的楼房,就像一个小疗养院,在门廊的下面有一条车道。

Two orderlies came out to the cab as soon as we pulled up. They were solicitous and intent, watching her every move. They must have been expecting her. I opened the trunk and took the small suitcase to the door. The woman was already seated in a wheelchair.

我们刚停车,就有两个护理员出来向我们走来。她们关切而热心地注视着她的一举一动,看样子一定是在等着她的到来。我打开车尾的行李箱,把她的小型手提箱提到门口。老妇人已经坐进轮椅里,

"How much do I owe you?" she asked, reaching into her purse.

“我该给你多少钱?”她边说边把手伸进钱包。

"Nothing." I said.

“不用了,”我说。

"You have to make a living." she answered.

“你得谋生呢,”她说。

"There are other passengers." I responded.

“还有其他的乘客,”我回答。

Almost without thinking, I bent and gave her a hug. She held onto me tightly.

几乎想也没想,我弯下腰拥抱了她一下。她也紧紧地抱着我。

"You gave an old woman a little moment of joy," she said. "Thank you."

“你给了一个老妇人片刻的欢乐,”她说,“谢谢你。”

I squeezed her hand, then walked into the dim morning light. Behind me, a door shut. It was the sound of the closing of a life.

我紧紧地握了握她的手,便走进了微弱的晨光中。门在我身后关上了。这也是生命关闭的声音。

I didn't pick up any more passengers that shift. I drove aimlessly, lost in thought. For the rest of that day, I could hardly talk. What if that woman had gotten an angry driver, or one who was impatient at the end his shift? What if I had refused to take the run, or had honked once, then driven away? On a quick review, I don't think that I have done anything more important in my life.

那晚我没有拉其他的乘客。我漫无方向地开着车,陷入沉思中。那天其余的时间,我几乎说不出话。如果那位老妇人碰到一位狂暴的司机,或者急着结束晚班的司机,那会怎么样呢?如果我拒绝跑这趟车,或者只是按一声喇叭,便开车离开,那又会怎么样呢?匆忙回顾了一下,我认为我做了一件生命中再重要不过的事情。

We're conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments. But great moments often catch us unaware--beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one. People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.

我们习惯性地认为我们的生命中有一些重大的时刻,然而重大的时刻往往在不经意时降临到我们身上——也许在别人眼中是小事,但它有着美丽的包装。人们可能不会完全记住你所做的事,或者你所说的话…但他们却会永远记住你带给他们的感觉。

Take a moment to stop and appreciate the memories you have made, the memory making opportunities around you and make someone feel special today.

  1. 英语美文点亮智慧人生39:Life Is All
  2. 英语美文点亮智慧人生40:The Old Fish
  3. 英语美文点亮智慧人生41:A Moment of
  4. 英语美文点亮智慧人生42:A Perfect He
  5. 英语美文点亮智慧人生43:Cherish as G

打赏

取消

感谢您的支持,我会继续努力完善网站!

扫码打赏
扫码打赏,1元、5元、10元...

打开支付宝扫一扫,即可进行扫码打赏哦

1.遵循行业规范,转载的稿件都会明确标注作者和来源,作者投稿可能会经我们编辑修改或补充;2.大部分为网友上传如果有侵权的文章请及时联系我们删除。投稿/投诉:runsly@qq.com

说点什么吧
  • 全部评论(0
    还没有评论,快来抢沙发吧!
猜你喜欢
  • 英语美文点亮智慧人生39:Life Is All

    英语美文点亮智慧人生39:Life Is All

  • 英语美文点亮智慧人生40:The Old Fish

    英语美文点亮智慧人生40:The Old Fish

  • 英语美文点亮智慧人生41:A Moment of

    英语美文点亮智慧人生41:A Moment of

  • 英语美文点亮智慧人生42:A Perfect He

    英语美文点亮智慧人生42:A Perfect He

  • 英语美文点亮智慧人生43:Cherish as G

    英语美文点亮智慧人生43:Cherish as G